Nuffnang

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Macadamia Oil for Skincare

When I was in Australia back in October 2013, my aunt was telling me about using macadamia oil as moisturiser.  She shared that a friend told her that most of the luxurious skincare uses macadamia oil as part of their ingredients and there's loads of benefits to it.  Intrigued, I decided to buy a bottle home.  I found one at Woolworths at their cooking oil aisle.  Yeap, you heard me right, cooking oil aisle.


A quick check reveals the following that caught my attention:

Palmitoleic acid:  Macadamia contains one of the highest sources of palmitoleic fatty acids.
This is vital for delaying skin and cell aging, ensuring that our skin stays supple.  But as we age, As we age, it decreases and our skin will age rapidly with the loss of it.

Squalene: Rich sources of squalene
Squalene is a naturally occusing antioxidant that's present in our human skin surface lipids.

(info extracted across a few websites: Naturally CurlyNaked ChemistMark's Daily 

Of course, there are many more benefits that's listed and you can do further research on them.

Here's what's listed at the back of the bottle:


During that time, I was having some issue with dry cheeks.  It tends to be drier and they get flaky often, so I'd thought that this might help me to deal with it.  From the initial use, I found that:
  • not oily nor sticky.  It goes onto my skin easy enough and it doesn't leave any oily residue.  It feels supple and yet, it's your skin (if you know what I mean)
  • No overpowering smell.  Macadamia nut has a smell.  All nuts do.  But when I apply this onto my skin, the smell doesn't really stay.  it was a soft smell that goes off probably 5 seconds later.  
  • Doesn't cause my skin to feel oily overnight.  I used it at night, and I found that as the night goes on (even before I sleep), it doesn't make my skin feel oily.  Instead, the next morning, my skin feels replenished and it was looking rather natural, without any flakes.
I also tried it on my lips with the balance of the oil on my fingers and when the morning comes, I found that my lips were no longer dry and it feels nice.  The skin on lips were not peeling either when morning comes.  It actually felt more comfortable than applying lip balm for the oiliness disappear once it gets absorbed.

I've been using it a few nights a week and my skin never develop any oil seeds (which sometimes happen with some of the cream based moisturiser that I used).  Instead, I find my skin getting better in terms of moisture level and it doesn't flake as much.

After using it for a few months, I find that I actually look fresher the next morning after use even when it's nights where I don't sleep well.  I find that it gave me the result similar to Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate (MRC) in terms of fresh looking and glow on my skin.  And with a moisturised skin, I find my foundation staying better on my skin and doesn't slide of as easily.

I'm already thinking of asking my friend to get me another bottle of macadamia oil when she comes over.

(purchased at AUD3.99 at Woolworths, 250ml).

No comments:

Post a Comment